View Single Post
      06-03-2021, 01:17 AM   #28
HandlerFahrer
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud777 View Post
Literally am FUMING. Just picked up 2019 M4 vert from trading in my 2016 coupe and WOW. The subwoofers are almost nonexistent. My old coupe sounded SO incredible and I was assured from rep that the same system came in the vert. Nope.

Terrible subs under the seats and just an all around muted sound. Being an audiophile this was insanely important to me and I've unfortunately just spent 85k to feel extremely underwhelmed.

Give me back my 2016. Anyone want an M4 w 50miles on it cheap cheap?

Never been so disappointed in my life so looking to find out why the bass is just a joke in this car.... any info is appreciated.
Oh heck yeah!!! Thank you for this thread! I now know that I am not losing my mind!! Reading all of your posts (Chud777) it literally sounds like I wrote them myself. I sold my 2015 Gran Coupe because I hated the steering and how boring it was to drive but I couldn't get enough of the Harmon Kardon stereo system. That thing was the best stereo I've ever heard..I couldn't find one fault with it and I'm def an audiophile. Fast forward 5 years...couldn't wait to get an M and just as important - get back to that bad ass stereo...but I ended up with a convertible M4.... the second I got in the car I had all my EQ settings photo'd on my phone and I set it all up, turned it on and was like WTF??!!! Where is the bass, why do the highs actually hurt my ears!? Surely this is my imagination right?? I just must have elevated my expectations...

Nope - after a month I decided to do some R&D. I rented a 2018 Gran Coupe for a day and parked it right next to my M conv. It took all of 2 seconds to see how INSANELY different the tune was. It has nothing to do with the missing 4 parcel shelf speakers. In the testing I faded completely to the front only and it's all about the TUNE and the BASS. The highs/mids all blend together and literally sit on top of the dashboard with perfection. The conv is shrill and the highs come out of the tweeters more than the center and mids and its a noisy mess that you leave the car with hurting ears. The Bass is like an AM radio and like you said - in non-conv the bass is literally forced out from under the seats into the cabin. I never found that there was any lack of bass ever in the non-conv...in fact on some songs i had to turn it DOWN. It's day and night and I'm so upset just like you are.

I also came to your conclusion that it must be the coding of convertible vs coupe in the head unit or amp or whatever. I had someone try and code the car as a coupe to both head unit and amp and I fully expected this to work...I am so disappointed that it didn't. The speakers, amp, head unit, all the materials are the same so it's got to be something with electronic tuning..

So...reaching out to see if anyone has had any success to get this nasty demoted convertible tune to be that of the standard cars?? Now I know I'm not the only one suffering here. This is definitely a case of BMW overthinking something...I'm assuming they think with the top down, you need this extra shrill high sound to overcome the wind noise and less bass so you can't blow the speakers cranking it up?? Makes no sense because the standard coupe sound is so superior and would have no issue with the top down..it's just a disaster that they did this.

Did you get ahold of customer service, talk to anyone, figured any solution out? (from one audiophile to another - please help!)
Appreciate 0