swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Let's make things straight here.
When F1 had V10 engines more than a few years ago , the E60 M5 came out, marketeered by the F1 world. A V10 just like F1 cars.

Then came the cut off 2 cylinder V8 M3, hapilly F1 turned to V8s at that time. LOL.

BMW came in with some marketing. Now turbo engines are coming in F1 next season , and many manufacturers already have very fast turbo engined cars for the Streets.
BMW is going FI in the M3/4/5 for a real simple reason. Cost (i.e. profit). Period.

Quote:
All the things you say above I agree with, except for the bold stuff: way too black and white imo. Maybe weight is even more important. There are way too many factors in a car which make a car good/better/best and faster, and peak power at high revs is just one of them. In F1 it's the core of them all maybe(and downforce plus weight) . But in a streetcar it is not! And you know that.
Yes of course, we are only talking about street cars here . Again the point is this - there is no single, simple metric as powerful (i.e. predictive) in predicting the performance of a car across a broad range of metrics (contests such as 0-60, 0-100, 60-130, quarter mile, road course times, etc.) as peak power (and of course divided by weight). I've probably had this debate with a good dozen folks here and haven't lost yet. Dig up some of the old threads, tons of good discussion.

Imagine an M3 with the same roughly 400 peak hp it has and double its crank torque to say 600 ft lb. Guess what, it will perform almost identically! Unless you truly understand and admit this you do not understand power, torque, gearing and performance.

Quote:
Why do you think I sold my E90 M3 in the first place: No power/hp whatsoever at mid rpms and too heavy.
I seriously think you have lazy driver syndrome. The imagined lack of torque in the M3 has been EXTENSIVELY discussed and debated here on the form. Again please note you simply CANNOT feel engine crank torque, only power and power AT THE WHEELS.

Quote:
About overboost: It works in real life . No discussion. Period.
No debate here other than pointing out that more peak power is more important for real (i.e. non lazy) performance driving than additional low rpm or midrange torque.

Quote:
Go out and drive the mother of them all, the E30 M3 with just 7000rpm redline. It's as exciting as my dead parrot.
It is the only M3 I haven't owned nor driven but according to a massive quorum you couldn't be more wrong about how exciting the E30 M3 is. Seems pretty obvious you must be a lazy driver. That's fine, just don't talk about maximum performance. Stick to 30-60 rolls in 6th gear
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0