Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Sorry completely misread that.

This is not consistent with most dyno's I have seen, for example this one:

And this qualitatively matches the engine feel in the car I drove.

Insideline's notorious 1M vs. regular N54 dyno chart seems fine at first but that is not in conformity with I and many others seen from our own cars. It is slightly off, kind of edited for publication, or just the type of dyno. I had mine always on very conservative Mustang dyno and never felt lack of power after low 5000s or so. But I can't argue about what you felt while driving it.

I can't argue much with or fault these points, however, I think the braking point in bold is just a loose hunch. Without some corroborating data I don't believe they are absolutely true/correct.

Sport Auto supertest for 1M and before that M3, as well as Auto Bild and other German magazines usually include this data and all confirmed that from 200 km/h 1M has clearly shorter stopping distance. And isn't it in conformity with common sense? Those tests are kept in the 1M Forum section in the Sticky for tests and data. I have printed version of some as well.

Not so sure I see this the same way. Quite frankly I think it was more of a way to test out additional M models and to make a very profitable "M car" on a budget with a "parts bin" type of approach. Don't get me wrong, it is a very solid car and there are plenty of reasons to choose one, perhaps as you noted even choosing it over an M3. That doesn't also mean it is quite a bit less special in regards to it "part bin" nature.

It all depends on what parts we are talking about; thankfully we had perfect donors like the M3 and I always thought that if BMW would develop bespoke parts for such a risky project, they would go for cheap and technologically less advanced parts while they decided to go "cheap" by not inventing what they already have in excellence...I am good with that, like I am very good with having the suspension, brakes, wheels and tires of a way bigger and heavier car
My replies in bold above. Let's leave people continue discussing the overboost function mostly from now on instead of "1M not so special...parts bin" etc. topics, we left them behind more than a year ago.

It's not like they invented the wheel for M3 either, everything is a modified version of something which was already there, this very much includes the S65 as well. We are not talking about Lancia Stratos or McLaren F1 here.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 09-17-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0