View Single Post
      06-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #103
undermine
UnderminE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

CCB Brakes "Advisory" !!!! Warning

I am posting from my experience and want to share my insight to anyone opting for the Carbon Ceramic Brakes (CCB).

First off they're great on the track, you won't have to worry about warping, they will definitely outlast your traditional steel rotors and out perform.

Since receiving my M4 equiped CCB in August of 2015 I managed to rack up about 19K. I just replaced my pads, and as a warning if you trust the electronics in your car to tell you when to replace your brakes you will be replacing your rotors.

The Brembo made brake kit fitted with a BMW brake wear sensor allows the friction material to wear down till the rivets holding that material to mounting plate is exposed which will cause grooves in your carbon ceramic brake rotors.

Will you need to replace them, probably not, pads yes. It was a track day for me and I waited last minute to pick up a set of pads, my brake wear sensor never went off. I can only image the damage if I allowed the computer to notify me that I need to change my brakes.

If you're the type of person to take your car in for service or have it modified by someone else, you might want to take into consideration if it's a place that will properly service it. Chances are if you have CCBs fitted to your car and you go in for service they may not even touch your brakes because of what the iDrive says. My iDrive reads front brakes 130,000 come in for service.

If you care about the longevity of your brakes, steel or ccb, take a 4mm allen key might be different on steel vs ccb but use it to clear out the drills in your rotors, use caution keep the key straight, it should pass straight through on a clean drill, if it doesn't try to turn the key a little, don't move it side to side or up and down you can and will most likely cause damage. The purpose of cleaning these out is to allow proper air flow for cooling in hard braking situations, it is a good idea to check often to increase the longevity and performance of your brakes.

One more negative, I was never notified by BMW regarding my CCBs of how they should be cared for. After owning 3 BMW's I didn't think that the same car wash would do any damage to my car however BMW Corporate referred me to BMW USA and did advise me after viewing photos of my CCBs that the white oxidation on the center hubs is from chemicals and that they would not warranty them. I owned my M4 for only 3 months garage kept, never driven in rain or snow.

To my disappointment and probably yours too, be advised if you buy these brakes BMW does not stand behind them in any regard. If you bought the steels enjoy chemical car washes with out any issue, as many track days as they can take.

Pass this on to your buddies, also if you do buy them you can coat the center hubs in a Ceramic Coating. I use Always Dry, works great on wheels.
Appreciate 1