View Single Post
      07-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #35
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
I get that the C63 amg edition 507 is a great car and has the best hand built V8 engine but is it that good that even with a crappy automatic transmission it's better than an M4?

I'm obviously bias because I own an M4 and have never driven a C63 but I feel that the final result of the C63 wining the comparison is unfair when the M4 wins in suspension, breaking, transmission, price($10k less), technology and fuel consumption
Drive an LCI ('12+) car if you can. You'll enjoy it.

The transmission isn't necessarily a true automatic. There is no torque converter. It has been replaced by a wet start-up clutch.

As far as the suspension is concerned, my C63's suspension feels firmer than M4's (which I have driven; I liked it a lot). The steering feel on the C63 is very nice as well (firm; consistent, irrespective of driving mode). The steering feel on the M4 is lovely as well, just different (maybe a bit heavier in S+ with slightly less feedback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacSmallFries View Post

These two quotes say it all. Can't believe the E9x destoryed the C63, and now all of a sudden the new M3 is having trouble keeping up with the C63 that was not considered a great driver's car at the time.
The LCI C63 is actually faster around the 'ring than the E9X M3. The LCI C63 turned in a time of 8:01 whereas the E92 turned in a time of 8:05.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

When the E9X M3 debuted, it was a step ahead of the C63. When the LCI C63 came out, the gap narrowed quite a bit as Mercedes-Benz/AMG gets pretty aggressive with their facelifts (e.g., the C63 received a new suspension, transmission, "Agility Select," etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I'd say it's a well accomplished car that is better measured on its intangibles rather than objective paper stats. To be honest, my time with a facelifted model is minimal but I've had plenty of experience with the MY08-11 version. Personally, the engine's a dime piece; the transmission is completely mediocre.
I agree that the MCT is mediocre when compared to fantastic transmissions like the M-DCT and the PDK.

However, in the abstract, it is actually a pretty good transmission (100-millisecond shifts). It is very smooth and proficient in all of the automatic modes. Downshifts could definitely be improved in M mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
M3 is a review that I am excitingly waiting for. A true apples to apples comparison. Both will be turbo charged with EPS etc.
Agreed. The W205 will likely produce 476 horsepower in standard trim whereas the "S" model will receive 510 horsepower. Both cars are rumored to have around 480-495 lb-ft of torque (thanks to the turbos).
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0