View Single Post
      05-09-2021, 10:46 PM   #2245
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Ran the setup at the track yesterday, some thoughts:

1. It absolutely screamed and sounded amazing - Thunderhill was primarily 3rd/4th gear and in gear sound is incredible. On the front straight you can hit 3-4-5 at WOT which itself was insane with this exhaust setup, straight up banshee scream.

2. Had the valves open, and with the windows down it was more than loud enough to hear through my helmet and earpiece. Going 110+ with the windows down and an instructor in my ear and still the exhaust was cutting through all of that should give you an idea of how loud this things actually gets even with stock DPs

3. Looks like this heat cycle loosened some bolts, getting some rattle again on cold start... have to retighten them for the 4th or 5th time now -_-

I have some video from the stands but unfortunately it was possibly the windiest day Thunderhill has seen (a few people familiar with the course in my vicinity were commenting on how they’ve never had that kind of wind at Thunderhill), those videos are completely inaudible due to the wind noise overpowering the cell phone mic.

EDIT: I did some thinking and watched some POV track videos, it’s still quite distinct from BMW single turbos (still contend it’s a bit like N55 + Nissan GTR) but it has a very similar quality and pitch evolution across the rev range to the 991.2 C & CS or 992 C & C2S (basically the standard turbo engines they started using). It doesn’t sound like a Porsche turbo flat-6 (nor should it really), but if you could imagine that engine in POV track vids sounding a little more like N55, that is what it sounds like WOT from the drivers seat. Like it starts N55/B58-esque but climbs to a higher pitch more rapidly

Last edited by RugbyBro; 05-09-2021 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0