05-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #2251
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
How does this play out in real life? Do you have one of these mufflers?

One thing I don't like about the flaps is the way the tone and volume change suddenly when the valves open when the car is cold. It goes from quiet but nice sound to BOOOOOOOOO somewhere near 3K under load, and it sounds f**king ridiculous. I drive most of the time with the throttle in sport mode, which opens the flaps when it wants to. With the flaps commanded fully open with my valve controller, it will BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO all the time when cold. Pain in my ass.

I would love to find a muffler that sounds good and flows well with the valves totally closed, giving me the options of just driving it and enjoying like a car without any exhaust flaps or cracking them open when I want them loud.
I have an exhaust controller, but 'closed' = stock flap operation, so I still get the sudden change in tone/volume.

I no longer have my M3, but I know enough about EL exhaust design on this specific platform at this point to have a pretty educated guess at an answer to members' questions. It's why I still stick around on here

The only EL exhausts I've had were my 3 custom passive systems and the TGM valved system.

I'm not clear on what you are looking for though. If you prefer a passive non valved exhaust, I think the AA 3 can muffler with no valves will probably get you there. Either that, or get a valve controller where off = off all the time, rather than OEM operation. But the way I'm reading your post, it reads like you don't want a valved system, so I'd say the AA passive 3 can or find a fabricator to put in some straight through mufflers along with the appropriate sized Helmholtz resonators if needed. Most aftermarket offerings are valved because the stock system is valved and most customers want to keep that feature.

Hope this helped.