05-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #2264
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
See a lot of posts regarding rattling pipes. Besides the brace being a location of rattles, I believe the downpipe to mid pipe connections with the crush gaskets can rattle/vibrate as well. I noticed this because on cold starts I see exhaust condensation coming out from the connection areas - I ordered some new gaskets and hoping to install them and take care of some mild rattling I get in low rpms. Will check for other possible rattling causes during install.

I went from Stock to AA single to AA EL, using the original all 3 times. I doubt those crush gaskets are in good shape after being adapted to three different pipes.

Part # for anyone interested (I recommend just ordering it and installing it at the initial install- not saying you'll have a leak for sure but a crush washer technically is designed for one time use, I had no issue w/ the AA single however)

BMW Exhaust Gasket - 18307851168 X 2
BMW Flange Steady - Genuine BMW 18307848046 x1
BMW Collar Nut (M8) - Genuine BMW 18307597650 x 4
BMW ISA Screw - Genuine BMW 07129905867 x 2

Technically you only need the gasket if your car is in good shape - but for those that drive in snow / salt I'd buy the nuts/screws as well. I bought it all because I don't intend to fix this leak / rattle twice or deal w/ corroded hardware issues on install. YMMV
Update:
Well the rattle wasn't coming from the gasket, but I changed it out anyway since I paid the shop for their time. However, we found the reason for the rattle -another broken tab/weld that connects the two EL pipes together near the down pipe... maybe AA uses elmers glue to hold this particular weld together because this is the second time it has happened in sub 1000 miles on both my brother's F8X and mine. anyhow we contacted AA the first time and they sent us to Autotalent to get the weld taken care of, so I'll likely reach out again and let them know the same issue occurred to me as well.

For the mean time I just pushed the tab and bent it out of the way.. part of me doesn't think it's necessary but part of me wants a relatively new part to be.. relatively new. We'll see. For those getting rattles with the EL I'd check that weld.

Sounds great though and don't regret it one bit
Appreciate 0