View Single Post
      07-30-2017, 05:59 AM   #46
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaudioman View Post
I know this post will elicit some harsh flaming, but it is about psychology and so I actually look forward to the responses. I recently brought my M4 in for the 1200 mile service and was given a 330 loaner. As you may know, that engine is a tiny 4-cylinder.

But surprisingly, in some way, around town it felt faster than my M4. I am not by any means saying it is objectively faster - it is not obviously - but by seat of the pants and effort level to get up to around-town speed it was snappy in a way the M4 does not feel.

Since the 330 is not faster objectively by any means, I have some theories here:

1. The 330 feels faster because it is super quiet. The power just comes on unexpectedly from 0 up to 30/40 MPH. Sounds and feels effortless.

2. The automatic transmission crawl that starts when you lift your foot off the brake (compared to the DCT not being engaged) gives an impression of the car pulling forward earlier.

3. The M4 transmission gearing or settings (I am usually in Sport with the transmission in the middle setting) affects the feel.

Again, feedback is most appreciated, especially from anyone else who had the odd feeling of getting in a 330 loaner and saying "this feels zippy."
Its not and so there are only two explanations: (1) your M car is jacked up and needs a reflash or warranty work; or (2) your a negative person that for some odd reason just looking for something else to complain about so your perception is skewed.

I guess more of a (2) based on previous posts, but holy cow is this a funny thread reading some trying to make sense out of something nonsensical. The ONE thing I can truly say the F8Xs have going for them is an incredibly linear, flat torque curve that has a very strong pull from very low rpms to deep in the rev range. Take it out of efficient mode, remove head from butt and enjoy.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 07-30-2017 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410784.50