View Single Post
      02-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #61
hzzz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 convertible

I will just add my two cents here.

While I sent my F83 to service, I got a G20 3 series loaner. Around town it does feel ‘faster’. Using its sport display, I saw the acceleration jumps to ~0.6g the moment I floor the gas and then decreases to ~0.4g. My Laptimer on the other hand shows that in around town driving, my F83 typically registers 1/5 throttle and when accelerating ~0.3-0.4g. There is typically a half second lag between throttle and the car starting moving.

I think this shows that a few reasons discussed in this thread all contribute to the the observed feeling:

The DCT vs ZF 8-speed difference makes 330i’s power feels more instantaneous.

330i’s body rolling/weight shift under hard acceleration might partially account for the initially large acceleration felt but they don’t quite contribute to getting the vehicle moving.

Driving M4 around town makes us very conservative on applying the throttle whereas on a 330i, it feels more safe and less noticeable to floor the gas. (And also more throttle is needed for 330i in usual traffic; just imagine applying 1/5 all the time, the car would hold up traffic too much.)

Overall 330i is an excellent DD that pretends to be sporty-in it’s core it’s a quiet, very comfortable car with some cool technology, whereas M4 is a sport car in its core that is daily drivable to some extent.
Appreciate 0