View Single Post
      03-18-2021, 04:23 PM   #16
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
M-azing! Wow. Hmmmmm Maybe I need one in my life. Not to derail this thread, whyd you sell and how was maintenance on these bad boys?
Thanks, yeah I can’t recommend the car enough most fun I’ve ever had. When I sold, it was over ten years old and wear items were starting to really add up. As well, the Vanos and rod bearings are ticking bombs on the S54. Some folks get lucky and go 125k miles with no issues, others blow up at 25k miles. Neither issue gives you much in the way of warning, you won’t know until the damage is done. Vanos bulletproofing is expensive at over $3k, similar to rod bearings, and it needs a valve adjustment every 35k miles or so. If the motor goes, you could be looking at $20k+. Another option would be to install a used motor, but then you still have the same ticking bomb issues. If the motor goes, I either trash the car or dump $20k into a ten year old car that has 85k miles on it and is maybe worth less than $20k. It just made no financial sense to me.

No doubt many owners will disagree with my thoughts on the car in regards to pitfalls, but for me it just made no sense to be dumping lots of money into a ten year old car. The reliability and beauty of the M4 made the switch a no brainer to me, but car to car I’d still take the Z4M if I knew without a doubt it wouldn’t fail mechanically.

I just got tired of worrying about Vanos and rod bearings every time I drove the car. Perhaps it was irrational, but I couldn’t shake the worry. I have zero worries when I drive the M4, it just *feels* built like a tank where the Z4M did not. Peace of mind goes a long way with me here.

Last edited by NickyC; 03-18-2021 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3574.50