06-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #49
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by verruckt View Post
I've owned and driven all M3s from the E30 through the F82 at this point. I've worked on all up to the E90 as a BMW tech, and have personally known engineers at M.

The F82 M4 is the best one yet capability wise right off the factory. With a few mods (namely suspension) it is insane. It has been the best balance of tech and capability. The first factory FI M3 too.

Just look at the position of the F80 on the lap times at 27:40. It's second place. Behind a 911... almost imperceptibly so. Close enough, that the F82 might have closed that gap, putting it quicker than the 911. Just think about that for a second.

That said, I have zero interest in the new G80/2. Its not what BMW M should be doing. I'll just leave it at that.

Is it quick? Yes.
Is it capable? Yes.
Will it prove as reliable as previous generations? I doubt it.
Is it hideous? zero doubt.
Is it soulless? Bingo.

For the video - not a fan. Not even 3 minutes in and he was claiming the E30 M3 was terrible? Later he goes on about the E46 M3 being the standard? I'll catch flak for this, but the E46 M3 is overrated as shit compared to the E30 and E36 before it, and E90 and F82 after it. People love the engine in the E46 but don't realize that essentially the same engine was in the Euro E36...

I see no reason for the E46 love outside of it being the first car a new generation of BMW enthusiasts got into. It was "affordable" as a used car in a time period when used cars weren't insanely overpriced, and new cars depreciated rapidly. The time period between its release in 2000 and 2009 meant it was widely available for relatively low cost, and without the maintenance of the E36 and E30 which were going on 10 and 20 years old respectively. That is, before federal programs were implemented that absolutely murdered the used car market. That's why its so "loved." Affordability vs capability and availability.

As an M car? The E46 sucked. It was a continuation of the E36, with small evolutions, but with very little change for almost 15 years. There. I said it.
Oh boy, now you done did it...lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50