View Single Post
      11-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #78
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

I have both a S65 in my M3 MDCT and a N55 in my daily driver '14 335i msport dhp mppk mpe + manual.

At first I was initially disappointed with the N55 but I mean it had like 5 miles on it. Now that it is starting to break in this car is really awesome. With the '14 they fixed the steering. The manual transmission the one from the 1M is awesome (dry sump / carbon 1-2 synchros). I have drifted the 335i with ease and the EPS steering allows more freedom in this manuever.

I'll admit that at first I would recommend someone to get the xdrive on the F3x to get the hydraulic steering but the '14 model with dhp + vss is not true hydraulic but close enough now to make me like it enough.

At first I also thought they went cheaper materials and cost savings on a lot of the F3x chassis. But when you get acquainted with it you can tell the engineers tried to remove a lot of weight where they could. I know they use non-gobain windows (like pilkington) on lower end models and stamped steel but whatever.

I have plenty of power in the mid range of the N55 that I don't need to go that high, but taking the oversquare architecture into account I have a feeling this S55 will just pull and pull harder. Too bad it's not built in the M engine factory with bespoke mechanisms - if this frees room for a lihium battery and more CF well shows us the biz.

I have no doubts now that this next M version will be really awesome and will be even better than the outgoing E9x in some manners. I would still keep the S65 and have both if you can or want to afford it.

I think for some the S65 E9x M car will be the ideal car... but I think it would be cool to get the base F8x model with manual and no lux/tech gadgets.
Appreciate 0