View Single Post
      11-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #109
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
2 things bother me. The longer gear ratios compared to the M5/M6 DCT, which are already pretty long, and the fact that the S55 isn't built under M's control. Is M cost cutting, or do they not feel the motor is up to par with their standards? Other than that, reviews could not come any sooner. Let's release these things!
With the S55 having a lot more torque & broader power delivery the longer gear ratios are needed.I had a BMW 850 V12 built for a client many years ago and one of the things we did was to shorten the final drive ratio by about 30% to help wake it up(as if it was needed)and it was a way too much gear as you could not shift it fast enough to keep up with the power delivery.We put the stock diff back in and the car was a delight to drive.The car was much quicker without all the shifting and with having 4000 rpm of usable power delivery it was the proper way to go.I expect the F8x M will work the same as this 850 did and every other modern high performance turbo that I have driven.A 997 TT has tall gearing and works just fine!
Appreciate 0