04-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #247
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Uhh no... Almost everyone whose done a dyno on m5post regardless is getting 0-5% drivetrain loss.

My m5 WITH charcoal filters using the Dyno recommended by friends at PTF posted the below... if you'd like to see the car on the dyno I'd be more than happy to put the video up too.

point being if the m3/m4s are equally underrated its a given a majority of us should stay in the 400whp range.

And if we're going off your 15% for the m5 at least that would be around 480whp the lowest dyno I've ever seen posted for an F10 m5 is 495... Most are between 510-530 with a good amount of us between 540-570
You can NOT have 0% drivetrain loss... A 0% drivetrain loss would mean that there is NO power required to turn the transmission, driveshaft, differential and rear wheels... That is simply not possible

Nor have I heard of any manufacturer claiming 5% losses either. It's generally accepted that drivetrain losses usually are in the order of 10-20% depending on type of transmission etc.

A few points:

-Dyno numbers varies according to type of dyno, operator, and numerous factors that influence the actual recorded whp on the dyno
-A whp number on a rolling road dyno is best used to verify before and after mod gains. It's not an exact tool to verify manufacturers crank HP claims
-It's generally agreed that the M5 is underrated, meaning that a 560whp reading on a dyno doesn't mean you have 0% drivetrain loss...

If we shall comparo dyno results. We at least need to know the type of dyno, correction factors etc. The same car might get 500whp on one dyno and 560whp on a different dyno...

560hp and a 15% drivetrain loss is 476whp, 12% loss is 493whp
600hp and a 15% drivetrain loss is 510whp, 12% loss is 528whp

If we look at a test done on a MAHA dyno, the same as used by manufacturers and test facilities here in Europe. You will see that they also display the drivetrain losses and that is as much as 120-140hp... The MAHA is supposedly the more accurate dyno, and is why you don't see inflated whp numbers. The dyno actually measures the losses in the drivetrain (or how much power it takes just to get it from the crank and to the rear wheels).

Last edited by Boss330; 04-29-2014 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0