07-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #62
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post
The fronts are ridiculously easy to install. It took me more time to jack up the car and get the tire off than it did to get the strut out and new spring on
You're like the 10th person to say this and I think your comment finally pushed me over the edge to just go for it and not waste the money. In fact, I'll use some of this saved money to buy a second floor jack for the install, as well as any random necessary tools I may not have. I already have plenty of tools and a local buddy who can come assist. Together we've installed upgraded springs on a few of our past cars, as well as his current Porsche 993. Looks like we be adding one more to the list.

I was just hoping to take the lazy approach this time around. But there's no fun in that.

This is the install guide I've been paying the closest attention to. Let me know if there is another one that's better...

After watching this guide a few times, it really seems like a simple install.

I'm left with a couple of questions...

1) What are the specs of the strut nut socket required for the 2 front top spring mounts? I'll need to pick one of those up.
EDIT: NVM, found it: 18mm 12 tooth (LINK)

2) What's the consensus on whether a spring compressor is necessary for this? On all my previous cars it was mandatory. but I'm reading that the spring tension on the front springs of the F80 is low enough that a compressor is not necessary. Thoughts?

Last edited by DadVibes; 07-10-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0