08-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #184
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Here's the thing. Everyone making the argument for DCT has good points. Swamp2 made a good case for it. The reasoning however keeps going down its better on an autocross, track etc. Yes, when driving all out at 90%+ DCT can be pretty engaging. Add in left foot braking and it a pretty cool experience.

But to be honest, most people here track the car maybe once or twice a year and as a street car driving at 50% street legal speeds manual is just more fun because your mind isn't occupied with trying to stay alive.

Getting DCT for a superior experience once or twice a year doesn't make sense to me.

For a street car it's got to be manual.

Btw. I'm an auto/DCT to manual convert. Drove auto car for the first part of my life and then switched over. My first sports car was a e46 SMG. Tracked the crap out of it and perfected left foot braking. Installed the Gustav Pedal. Left foot braking became second nature. When I'm in an auto car even on the street using my left foot to brake became natural.

Test drive a e92 M3 DCT and for regular driving it was so boring. Drove one on the track and it felt way better.

Ask yourself, how many times are you really planning on driving it all out. If it's your only car and you'll be going to work, getting Starbucks and picking up the kids with it, DCT I think will bore you to death. At least it did on e92. But e92 overall didn't feel awesome unless you drove it at 8/10ths.

+1

Driven an E92 M3 6MT for 3 years, it was a brilliant car, but boring daily driver, big and heavy, and a gas gussler (did I spell that all right)

Anyway; the car came only alive over 6K RPM, and for that sake it really doesn`t matter if you drive an 6 MT or the M-DCT. Over 6 K RPM isn`t what you can often do in daily driving, so most of the time boring indeed.
Appreciate 0