View Single Post
      07-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #56
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menez
For those of you complaining about 415 hp being too little to compete...

May I remind you of what made the original and legendary E30 M3 so special. Because it definitely wasn't the power.

Hopefully this video will remind you that the M division excels in chassis engineering:

You are absolutely right. And it would be great if that is what we could expect from them these days. Unfortunately, their traditional advantage in the handling, balance, and feel department are not alive and well in their current line up. Just look at comparisons between the new M5 and M6 vs it's competition. Even the non-M cars are not the clear favorites they used to be, and in fairness to the boys and girls at ///M, this is what they are given to work with as starting platforms. They are still great cars... But today they are almost as far from the core characteristics that made them great in the past as their competition. Almost as if there is an entirely different philosophy behind their engineering practices. Their latest offerings, be it from ///M or not, are not quite the Ultimate Driving Machine... So as much as I truly hope they get these cars right... I think this generation run of cars might be BMW's least competitive in history. Not sure if it has anything to do with an ex Mercedes guy now running their chassis development team (forget where I read this lol). I hope we get a great M3/4 as it really is the flag bearer of the M Division... But wouldn't be surprised if BMW races on next gen 3 and 5 series to fix the bloated heavy shits they've put on the road this time around.
Appreciate 0