View Single Post
      12-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

I was seriously looking at the 991.1 S in the spring/summer and then when the prices of the F80s started falling to levels where I thought were a little too low, I started cross shopping with the F80 (who doesn't love a bargain?). My goal was a fun car.

I'd agree with you on all points. The 991 felt more stable @ the limit, but I have a family and I was a little surprised at lack of space (those back seats are really for Barney the dinosaur and his friends). I initially thought with the 991 gen, since it was bigger than the 997s, it would be acceptable. I wanted to take the family out on road trips but considering the platform as a whole vs. the F80:

1) Performance: yes, but to fair, its marginal for most of us. The handling was better (I drove a PASM version). But as you said, when I test drove the F80, the power delivery just felt more instant, more brutal. Yes, the 991.1 is NA, but the F80 is just very direct on how it makes power, no subtlety about it.
2) Build Quality: better, but the 991 tech was looking dated. When I revisit this again, it will be a 991.2 or 992.
3) Utility: No, that frunk, even with the seats, to be honest, if your goal is a do it all performance car to take the family out on trips, its a solid no. I have young kids and a road trip involves a lot of luggage. But that is the allure of the 991, it feels like a go cart and is extremely capable.

So, the 911 series in reality is a dedicated 2 seater for someone who loves driving and the occasional track time (excluding the GT3 versions of course).
Road tripping is limited to 2 people in all seriousness.

It all depends on your use case. For an all road car that you can do daily chores in and yet hoon around in, F80. But, make sure you're ok with some compromises; NVH, ride comfort and the fact that if you're an idiot, this car can remind you of that mistake quickly .

I was actually very surprised at my decision. I had been so focused on getting a 911 (coming from a E46 M3). But objectively, for my needs, F80.

Congrats and welcome!
Appreciate 2
zamboni1127.50
jlspeed29485.00