pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
No offense. You may be a more advanced roller than I am. I agree.

But, What I meant was that the clunky feeling with E9x until you cross 5K RPM and then a sudden surge to a heavenly feeling when the car comes alive at higher RP is not very suitable for DD.

With the new engine; you get the intoxicating feel well in advance starting at lower RPMs in normal driving conditions . This doesn't mean you reach the full potential at low RPMs. I owned E90 M3 and I enjoyed it but Extracting joy in DD conditions that involves Downtown commute and local traffic was a challenge with that platform.
You're points are valid and I've said the same thing about the 335 vs. M3, that in daily driving, the N54 is a better engine. Having said that, I really wouldn't call it "intoxicating" when you have torque at 2,500 RPM and it pushes you into your seat- I have a lightly tuned 335 N54 too- but it is nice when you want to get going quickly while driving in slow moving traffic, or when there's a little stretch of open road on the freeway.

IMO, having an engine suddenly surge forward and wake up a 5,000 RPM when most engines start to run out of breath (and just keep pulling until 8,000 RPM), combined with the scream of a V8 at 8,200 RPM... that's INTOXICATING. We'll see how the S55 pulls up top. A 7,600 RPM is pretty good for a turbo motor, but does it really pull up top??

aus, i think it will pull up top. the m5 and m6 do right?

my wife has a 135i and yes it is torquey but i am always in the right gear at the right time regardless of what car i am drivig.

kash, low end torque and shifting gears at 4k rpm to get to a given speed vs a screaming v8 in higher revs to get to the same said speed in city driving, add in heel toe shifting 100% of the time and it is still tons of fun.

new engine is no doubt better. i just dont understand the "potential in city" due to low end torque. shift if needed. thats what its there for!!
Appreciate 0