View Single Post
      11-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #197
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
But I'm not sure that I agree on your view on similarity between the M and regular models. The way I see it, the F8x will be the M model that probably is the most different from the production models ever.

Why?

The engine, transmission, suspension, driveline are just as different from the base models as allways (even previous models have had a Block based on a Production Version). In fact, the CFRP driveshaft is a New Development from previous M's.

The bodyshell has never been so different from the base models, with more extensive use of CFRP.

The base models of a E36 or E46 (especially the E36) can easily be modified to a M3. The E36 only needs the driveline and suspension plus some easily attached reinforcement plates. The E46 needs new fenders front and rear in addition to what it takes to convert a E36, but very simple and easy modifications. The F3x will probably not be able to get legally converted to a M3/M4 as it's based on a separate bodyshell with a different part #

In which areas does the F8x differ less from the base models than a E30, E36, E46 and E9x?
The M3 of the E9x Family has only 20% common parts with the standard E9x .. this meen parts overall, not only body parts! Also the precessors are quoted in the same common part range. This was also specially marketed by the M-GmbH.

And in Jasons official review of the new M3/M4 in this forum, I read about 50% common parts ... much less than the previously quoted 20%, and this includes all CRFP-Part that are new in the F8x!

And also Mr.Biermann says in his SPORTAUTO interview, that they have made many parts together with the AG-Models to reduce productions costs.
He says this like it was a good move, but until now it was an important marketing issue that an M3 ist totally different from his 3er counterpart (it only looks like an 3er) and that this is the reason for its higher price.

Seems like the new M3/M4 is getting much cheaper ... but not for the customer ... only for BMW!?
Appreciate 0