12-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #64
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I think this is presumptuous. The S55 has better power delivery with less weight, more efficiency, and lower emissions. One of the core complaints of the S65 was it's quite soft low-end power delivery; the S55 addresses that and thus will likely sell more. It can be built at the same plant as the N55. It's design is a better balanced engine than the S65 in terms of engine harmonics and BMW is famous for inline sixes, so they can play that up. By all accounts thus far, the S55 is a better engine and may ALSO allow BMW to cut costs in the process which might go to more profit OR might go to other things like weight savings. Or both.

Your subjective opinion, which is perfectly fine, is that the s65 sounds better (though that's based upon sound clips) and that the s65 appears to be more special, though you haven't driven an s55 yet.

I just want to point out how this plays out when reading your forum. Your posts have been quite repeatedly putting the s65 and s55 on the balancing scales and weighing heavily towards the s65. The s55 is a better engine on paper; however, you weigh emotion more heavily - understandable.

However, without driving or experiencing the s55 in person you have declared it to sound worse and not be as special.

Let's just be clear here.
you said things that were spot on.

the S65 is a older motor and the S55 is way newer. if BMW would have tryed a rework on the S65. i am telling you they could have improved the engine. BUT the fuel efficiency would most likely not be as good as the S55. also not to mention the rework would cost more money. i wouldn't call the new motor better, i would call it more practical for both customers and BMW. i think thats fair to say

like i said in my post. i could still get a M4! what i predict is the car being much faster. but lacking in sound. Its kind of like a someone who owns a V12 Lamborghini looking into buying a GTR. the GTR feels great and makes a ton of power. but it is missing the scream from the engine that puts goose bumps down your back. (emotion)

i will be testing driving a M4 next year no doubt. i will give it a chance.
Appreciate 0