06-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #33
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMR View Post
I drove my F80 in the snow on a set of Blizzaks with no issues except for ground clearance. Would I do it again? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I think I put 200 miles on my winter setup across the whole season.

Driving a car of this caliber on 255 section pizza cutter, winter compound tires is not enjoyable to me. Traction is an uphill battle no matter what anyone says, although quite bearable with the right tire setup. Still, as a dedicated daily, I would want all 4 wheels driven for that one time you won't be able to make it and say "I wish I had AWD". This is coming from someone that has daily driven RWD cars in the winter for nearly a decade starting with my Gen2 CTS-V.

Furthermore, up in my neck of the woods, the winter not only wrecks havoc on the roads but you have to be even more concerned about lunatics hitting you. But that's an entirely different debate.

This is the right answer.

You can drive it with winter tires. I drove different rwd M cars over 5-6 Minnesota winters and it has fun moments but overall it’s not comfortable. Getting traction sucks. You go from one of the fastest cars on the road to one of the slowest.

I have an X3 M40i now for winter but any decent used SUV, pickup or AWD sienna would fit the bill just fine. It’s just a lot less stressful. It also depends on what you need. I have two kids so extra space also comes in handy sometimes.
Appreciate 2
FXMR111.50
wam2239.50