04-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #111
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Uh, tough call.
Quaker State is GTL based, which is cutting-edge technology when it comes to base stocks. However, Valvoline makes super stout oils in this category using hydrocracked base stocks. IMO, since both carry actual Porsche A40 approval, they will do well on track.
Also, do not forget, in N55 and S55 engines LL01 is not that important now. LL01 was updated in 2018 to address N20/26 issues and increase OCI, which eliminated most of 0W oils in the category where HTHS has to be over 3.5.
Castrol 0W40 to me would be go to cheap oil for F80 on track unless you going some boutique oils like Motul Sport or 300V. In reality, you really cannot go wrong with any of these oils. To add, since you are using the car on the street and track, street oils are more desirable and not boutique, like 300V.
As for QS Ultra DUrability or just Euro, it is Pennzoil. Pennzoil is notoriously inconsistent with marketing, PDS, and MSDS. On their website they are now advertising as Quaker State Euro, but the link to PDS takes you to Quaker State Ultra Durability. So, Euro is what they sell now I guess. Maybe that is Pennzoil's attack on Mobil1 and Castrol in Wal Mart, hence price.
Thanks so much for your help! I will probably stick with QS and Valvoline euro (whatever walmart has in stock at the time) because I have an extended warranty and am a bit paranoid that they would ask for proof of using an LL-01 oil if there is an engine issue.
Appreciate 0