View Single Post
      07-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #28
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
The 911 has materially changed over the years - more than a standard deviation from what it was even 10 year ago. The dichotomy between the 997 and 991 is vast and they, in my view, save the sports cars for the ones that start with GT.
Ohhhh, so now only GTx's are the 'real sports cars'? So now a Turbo S is not more capable around a track than say, a GTS?

Quote:
I certainly would take a 992S over a 458 and 991 GT3. The 992S is not far off a 991 GT3 RS lap time wise. The 992S also just posted a 1:13 at Vairano, the 458 could only muster a 1:15 despite having 150 more hp.

I do think the 992S is a much quicker track car than the M4 GTS. Main reason being the M4 has cup tires for that time, the 911 summers, so that delta is more like 18 seconds (going by 1 second per lap for cup tires). Even the 991.2S on summers have proven to be much faster and the 992S is certainly a step up over the .2 cars.
Quicker in the hands of a pro, right? Or are you saying YOU would be faster in a 992S over someone else in a 458, GT3 or even a GTS?

Quote:
Sure there are plenty of variables but I don’t think there’s a chance an M4 GTS can run with a stock 991.2 S on the same tires let alone a 992. More so when you consider the 911 is the easier car to drive. And that’s not even taking into consideration the M4 GTS is the pinnacle of track M cars whereas the 992S is an entry level street car. The M4 GTS for its huge power and torque, and very much race driven goal is simply not up to snuff when it was released even though bmw knew exactly what it would be compared to and what they were aiming for.
So many things wrong here... ummm yes, an M4 GTS is most definitely overlapping in the performance envelope with a 992 or 991.2S, so it would be up to driver skill whether or not 'they can run together'.
As far as which is an easier car to drive... how many times have you driven a 991.2 on track? How about a GTS?

Quote:
Ultimately, at my, your level comparisons are moot. But stick a pro in both cars, same day same track and those numbers are meaningful.
So what any of us can do in actual trackdays is moot, the only important thing in your mind is what a pro can do, right? Why even drive a car at a track at all vs just watching videos of Randy drive?

Quote:
MT - Randy driving both at Mazda Raceway (I’ll be doing a track day there in the fall)

991.2S 1:36.44 (summer tires)
M4 GTS 1:37.66 (cup tires)

Those are pretty compelling to me. To say otherwise is just downright denial. Level out tires and the gap is likely 3 seconds per lap. Not even worth putting them in the same sentence at that point.
You are the only one in denial, thinking that the fact Randy can extract more time means you can too, or (way more of a stretch), that you can be faster in a 991.2S than someone (let alone anyone) else in a GTS.

Please, do post videos of what times you've put in the past around Laguna Seca (and what tires) and enlighten the rest of us! I'm dying to hear how with the same tires you are pulling more than 3 seconds per lap than well driven GTS's out there.
Appreciate 1
minn1914057.00