01-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #497
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I have no problems with a V8 engine and plan on upgrading to a M5 in the future, but that has a cross bank exhaust manifold changing the exhaust sound. Love the sound of the new Audi RS6. I would love to have a 1969 Boss 302 or 429 Mustang (I was born in 1969 ). The C7 gets rave reviews in Europe. A V8 can sound really good, but mostly I prefer the sound of a BMW I6

And what you haven't taken into account in your anticipation of future engines are new technologies, like hybrid drivetrain. Just look at LaFerrari and Porsche 918. They combine high rpm NA engines with electrical engine. Creating a car with excellent official CO2 and consumption numbers. And with a low torque high rpm NA engine (the hybrid power takes care of low down grunt and means that the petrol engine doesn't have to be as torquey low down and engineers are free to create a more "racey" engine).

The 918 Spyder gets 94mpg and 70g/km of CO2... WAY better than the S55

That tech is too expensive for a 911 or a M3 today. But we might see that stuff in the future even on ordinary cars like the M3 etc!

In fact, I believe that my favourite drivetrain for the next gen M3/M4 would be a high revving NA I6/V8 with hybrid power. NO lag whatsoever and a combination of low end power from the hybrid drivetrain, excellent high rpm NA engine and fantastic fuel consumption and CO2 numbers

Remember that you read it here first
i will agree that new spyder i really like. revs to 9k RPM. with electric motor that helps get it it great MPG. i feel that is the way to go. in terms of meeting the growing demand for efficient engines. that car cost a a lot though. that technology is somewhat new to street performance cars. as we are just seeing it in the super cars first. time will tell when it hits cars we can afford.

and ya i believe it or not. i would love a high revving n/a I6 also.
Appreciate 0