10-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #186
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
How would you guys configure the new M3 sedan if you were looking for an "enthusiast" version?

Meaning, the most driver-oriented M3.

I own a 2004 M3 with a factory sunroof delete. Best option - or lack thereof - that I ever personally opted for. I owned 3 cars with sunroofs before my M3 and I NEVER used the sunroofs.

The only time I opened them was when I had to repair leaks and squeaks coming from the sunroof. Very ironic.

My point is, there are many features and options that are not very uselful to some enthusiasts.

What's your take on this?

Another example: I love heated seats in my M3, especially since Chicago weather is cold weather 8 months out of 12. However, I absolutely HATE and DESPISE the MKIV navigation that came with my car. It's too outdated, despite upgrading to te latest firmware and DVD map. If I could do it again, I would have ordered my M3 without navigation. Everything about it just sucks and I actually think the e46 M3 looks better and less dated with the normal business CD unit.

Then again, I couldn't do away with xenons and other options, such as HK sound and lumbar support adjustment.

Still, I hate my nappa leather. Worse choice ever. I much prefer the cloth interior on my friend's e46 M3. It's more durable, less slippery, and doesn't get cold/hot in extreme temps.

See what I'm getting at here?

Just looking to see what you guys would consider the most enthusiast centered F80 M3.
"enthusiast" version of any M car can be identified in different ways IMO.

A car that is lightly optioned but all the performance options like M suspension, carbon brakes might be considered a enthusiast car.

But a car that is has heated seats ordered separately not to have headlight washers may also be considered a enthusiast car like my previous M3.

I am planning on checking most of the boxes when ordering my M4. What will keep me away from ordering this car right away will be the possible ZCP pack. If BMW does what they did with M5 / M6, I would really regret not waiting.

PS: I use the tilt function of sunroof on my other cars all the time and I love the light that it lets in during dark Seattle days. But I won't give the CF roof of the M for a sunroof for sure.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0