View Single Post
      06-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #110
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I'll assume you meant "shift" and not taking a dump...

To be able to assess the accuracy of your statement, you need to specify the redline and gearing of the assumed drivetrain.
my bad haha

yeah of course, you have to work it out car by car.

but if power is held to redline (which by definition means torque doesn't drop off sharply ENOUGH)... then regardless of gearing, peak acceleration is redline.

Quote:
IMO, based on my calculations, the stock N54 and S6344Tu power curves have sufficient drop off in the upper rev range to warrant a shift before redline in the higher gears to maximize acceleration.
stock power curve is pretty close to peaking at redline, with little to no taper, the best graphs i could find are from ****** though sadly so can't link them haha

even tuned, 1-2-3 are still shifted at 7000RPM, then later gears rapidly taper.

Quote:
The term "moment of force" (sic) has nothing to do with the notion of time. The term "moment" refers to the perpendicular distance of the force vector to the point of reference. Torque, moment of a force, couple are all synonyms to define a twisting force.
yes, moment of force is what torque is, if you have a read of what i said, i clarify that torque is the force 'at a moment' and power is torque over time.

ED: at those 1m shift points... what's happening there?.. shift at 4250rpm? i can't read that graph haha

ahh is it some misc 'acceleration value'?

but yes, the 1M being a bit beefier in the midrange shifts a bit sooner than totally stock 135i's.... though it's still a case by case basis.. N54 to N54, you can have shift points varying up to 500rpm depending on the gear.
Appreciate 0