08-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #150
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
I see old swamp is still around. So which you like most, posting on the M3 forum, or driving your V8 ? We had quite a few heated car arguments back then before the V8 M3 came out. Strange poll, not sure what your agenda is for posting that but not the kind of thing you would have posted back in 07.
Very happy with my V8 M3, it looks like like BMW reached an apex with that car. Still the most reliable BMW and there is nothing like a free breathing V8. No turbo 6 car for me unless it is AWD. To go against the competition today there are no other routes. Unless you want to drive a 600 Kg RWD kart with a light engine, the only way to keep up with the competition now is AWD + turbo(s). Just look at the Nurburging top 30 cars. Those which are not AWD have to weight much much less.
I don't like the M4 exterior either. Too flat, lacking musculature, oversimplified sides, hoodline moved above BMW emblem. Looks small. I think M2 would have been a better name for it.
Howdy, I'm still pretty active here. I don't recall our prior debates but debate is certainly part of what I enjoy here.

I got a bit reinvigorated in the forum as more and more M4 information started trickling in and after we finally got a good look at the exterior of the M4. There is indeed both personal and a community motivation behind the poll. Many who really like the M4 thus far insist that all of those of us who don't like it are largely current M3 owners who are just "worried" in some way due to their ownership and their impending eclipsing of their car. Although I still own and adore my M3, I am in the camp of not being too impressed with the looks of the car and certainly not too excited about the FI route. I really do not think that my ownership biases me against the car, I think for what we know, my personally low level of excitement is not bias. I'm nowhere near as excited about this car as I was the E92 M3.

It is not at all clear if I asked the question in the best way to locate bias. But as the question was asked there does appear to be some validity to the claim mentioned above (i.e. a bias). One is just about precisely twice as likely to dislike the M4 if the own a current M3 (26% vs 13%).

My math on that is:

(# own&dislike)/(total # own) vs.
(# don't own&dislike)/(total # don't own)
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0