Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
The GTS deserves better, more motorsport inspired wheels like the FI-Rs (19s front, 20s rear) in black which is my strong preference. I really don't understand their choice to run one of their heavier, albeit forged wheels, on the most powerful, fastest F8X iteration.
FI-Rs came out in 2015, so maybe it would have been possible. BMW was likely wary of potential warrantability of a brand new, ultralight wheel like the FI-R. They needed a wheel that was strong for track use and could clear the CCBs, so they modified the 666M.

I believe the intent was for most owners to go with the carbon wheel and clubsport options - the carbon wheel (681M) was specially designed for the GTS. No one did because they were $$$ and ugly - they perhaps should have been included rather than an optional extra.
My point wasn't that one would expect BMW to supply BBS FI-Rs as a factory option; rather, get it done yourself especially since BBS sells them in F8x spec.

BMW is too bottom-line savvy to shove $2K+ per corner wheels that don't scale, thus the decision to go with value-tier SAI as an M Performance wheel supplier.

Case in point, Bugatti offers their Chiron Pur Sport with BBS FI-Rs. MSRP $4M. 🍾