View Single Post
      10-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #91
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Thanks for the good wishes. It’s fun and I wish I got into it sooner. But even cheap w2w adds up. Lol.

I do think you should re read that article I posted ( the whole point of which is that you shouldn’t be on throttle that early)

I don’t know about some of the Miata advice your giving man.... I’d still want to hit the apex markers, and should be carrying so much more entry speed that you need to wait until apex go back to throttle (this is specifically what I’m working on. My “feel” of a good entry speed is from 3500lb street tires car still, and it’s now got to be 2200lb competition tires car) , and wouldn’t early apex

It’s really not that different tracking SM and F8x, in my opinion. It’s just that the momentum spec car exposes any technique gaps in a pretty brutally honest fashion. (Eg you come in last)

Well, I guess a key difference is my maintenance and tire bills per hour of seat time are a lot lower, and if there’s an off or mechanical it’s a lot cheaper (eg $500 Gearbox and $2k used engine with 20k miles)
Sorry that I dumped the whole thing without taking time digesting your point and articulating mine. I do respect your knowledge and experience and I am sure you are a lot more involved with the serious Miata thing.

I did enjoy thinking about the idea. It's wild! It would be closer working one for an early apexing, momentum preserving Miata on shorter corners. Maybe some drivers with real good control can pull the circus on some other longer corners. Still there would be many situations need throttle to maintain/control car's pitch or throttle steer.

M4 and Miata lines have to be vastly different. M4 needs late apex on most of corners except short connecting ones because it's traction limited upon track out (and it's a lot more important to rotate and get out of corner ASAP). However, Miata can go full throttle with a lot more steering angle and hence taking the same line as M4 is totally wasteful; it can carry a lot more speed by taking earlier apex. Taking early apex and carrying more speed so that it's effectively traction limited upon exit would be more optimal.

The 'not hitting apex' theory is what I wanted to experiment after driving M4 again but have not validated on Miata, but you still can enjoy thinking about it. It's like a kart line- making line wider to carry more speed. I think at some corners (not all corners) it may work. Well precisely not completely like kart line because Miata can still accelerate better than that.. but there will be an optimal line in between.

Having all that said, I would still want to get on full throttle as early as possible. I'd recommend watching our chief driver (LOL) Joerg Weidinger's M4 GTS driving while paying attention to sound how early he's on the throttle and where car is pointed to with respect to apex and exit when he's on throttle. Also looking at steering at the moment shows how much rate of rotation he's getting.

But yeah, I am always learning and willing to be enlightened anytime.
Appreciate 0