Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
I can attest that I was using maintenance throttle pre apex and was seriously hindering my lap times. I had an instructor which has 30k laps in various racing series ride with me in one of the sessions and confirmed my "known issues" and talked me through correcting them. I was too hard on the brakes, too early which cause me to slow down too much which I turn caused me to use maintenance throttle. After 30 min session of constant braking reminders, feedback and advice, I finally gained the feeling and confidence. My lap times at Road America dropped 5 seconds because of it. I gained about 10mph on each straight away because of it.
hi---do you mind talking about some of the feedback you rcved? I feel that I'm doing something similar, due to the instruction I have rcved while in the beginner run groups w/ hooked on driving and similar. basically, brake in a straight line, maintenance throttle during turn in and up to the apex, then add throttle as you unwind the steering and track out.

i'm assuming that this is part of the reason my laptimes are so slow (2:24ish at T-hill 3-mile w/ bypass)
It is tough to explain because he was talking specifically about what I was doing at the time. It focused on being smooth with the brake coming in the braking zone and letting off to carry more speed adding some trail braking. I knew what I needed to do it was just having that person there to give me some feedback and information while it was happening. Then it was taking that info and trying to duplicate it in the next sessions.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet to fix it because every driver does things a bit different. Take the best drivers and that all approach it a bit differently

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0