CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
hi---do you mind talking about some of the feedback you rcved? I feel that I'm doing something similar, due to the instruction I have rcved while in the beginner run groups w/ hooked on driving and similar. basically, brake in a straight line, maintenance throttle during turn in and up to the apex, then add throttle as you unwind the steering and track out.

i'm assuming that this is part of the reason my laptimes are so slow (2:24ish at T-hill 3-mile w/ bypass)
It seems like what you are being taught is the "basic" HPDE approach. It is safe and gets beginner to be smooth. It is however not the fast way around a corner. As I posted earlier, the fast way around a corner is to decelerate all the way to the apex as you are tightening the arc and then accelerate from the apex on as you increase the arc.

Proper braking technique and transition to throttle while coordinating steering input is the key here. A common mistake I see is students being light on the brakes early in the braking zone and then relying on added brake force to adjust the entry speed. There are two fundamental reasons why this is bad. First, by applying light pressure on the brakes they heat up and you then need to rely on hot brakes to slow you down more. This is a killer for brake endurance and life. Second, as you turn-in, you want to be applying less braking, not more. The trick is to be hard on the brakes right at the start of the braking zone, application needs remain smooth (i.e. squeeze, don't stomp on the brakes) but you need to be at maximum brake force right at the onset of the braking zone. You then adjust your entry speed by progressively releasing the brakes. This allows for a very smooth transition into turn-in and allows for seamless trail braking all the way to the apex if needed, plus you do most of the hard braking using cooler brakes fresh from barreling down the straight. The more steering input you give, the less brake force has to be applied. It is a balancing act up to the point where you get the car pointing in the right direction, you then get on the throttle to settle the rear managing deceleration down to the apex. You then get on the throttle more to start accelerating again at the apex while unwinding the steering wheel.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 6
MaynardZed1231.00
jmg18708.00
Pic18303.50
Max36019.50