View Single Post
      07-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #84
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
So maybe not 40 lbs but say 20 lbs just by lighter wheels and then say 50 lbs with lighter seats and you have a good start without even touching the chassi. Progress isn't made by engineers and companies being so negative and restricted by status que and thoughts like "can't be done", "not going to happen", "too expensive" etc. Progress is made by people who set goals and then make it happen. More remarkable things has been done than building a 3300 lbs car when you have the strength, knowledge and power of BMW. Germany like the US are very good at that kind of free thinking and "just do it" attitude. There are many vendors who will bend backwards to become BMW suppliers and I think BMW need the M3 to be a halo car. Maybe I have too high opinion of BMW and M, time will tell.

I'm pretty sure the same negative outlook would have been given if someone said that the E60 M5 and E90 M3 would have the engines they got before it was known. An M unique engine? V10?, V8 M3?, What redline? Not going to happen, followed by the price of similar cars and the cost involved etc. This time it's primarily about the weight not the engine and that's BMW's own statement not mine.
Just out of curiosity, are you an engineer?

Anything is possible, but engineering is all about compromise.
-Sure you can make a car super light and use CF everywhere, but it'll make it more expensive. Thus a higher base price. Would everyone agree with that? No. Hell no actually.
- Sure you can throw on some super light wheels, but are they going to survive 100-200k miles full of pot holes? No
- Keep in mind where the M3/4 starts at. It's a big sedan/coupe, that was made into a performance version. This is not a 911 or a Suburu BRZ where they were designed from the ground up to be light and small to begin with.

Like I said, I'm all for progress, but at the same time it's not something that is free and can be just done with the snap of a finger.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0