04-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #39
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Yes, a performance pad, that, even in BMWs own words, will result in you changing out your discs every time you change your pads.. just to get the same level of performance as the CCB? So how many disc and pads changes will it take before you get to the cost of the CCB ? I'm guessing 3 sets.. Even 2 sets would make the price difference next to nothing.
The sport pads are NOT intended to give steel brakes the same performance as CCBs on the road. They're not even intended to be run on the road at all. Based on the claims of noise, considerable braking noise, no form of comfort, and lower pad and rotor life, they're going to be full-blown race pads intended to give you close to CCB performance at the track, and you'd continue running the regular pads on the street. The claim that you must swap your rotors when you get/replace sport pads is bogus, though. I can see why BMW does it for liability reasons, but if you're diligent about scraping deposits from your street pads off of your rotors before running the race pads hard, you can keep the same rotors when swapping pads. People do that all the time. I suppose BMW might have designed the set so that by the time you've run all the way through a sport pad you've also chewed through an entire rotor, though.

At the track, CCBs definitely do not last forever. As for the breakeven point, on the F10 M5, a pair of front steel rotors costs $1002. A pair of CCB fronts costs $6346. And as someone who's talked with multiple people who track using CCBs on several different types of cars, let me tell you that CCBs don't last anywhere near 6x as long as steel -- usually they don't even last twice as long.

Sorry, there's just no way to construe CCBs as a good value proposition. If you stay on the road, you've already prepaid for so many brake jobs by getting CCB that you're unlikely to break even in the car's lifetime. And on a track car CCB's don't meaningfully outlive their steel counterparts despite costing a whole lot more, so you're actually behind on value in that setting -- and that's assuming you don't ever prematurely destroy a rotor by nicking it with off-track debris or during a wheel change.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-13-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0