View Single Post
      11-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #3856
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Last week I was driving a chevy equinox and this week it's a mazda cx-5 ... both are interesting generic CUVs with their +/-s though if I had to pick it'd be the CX-5. It's funny how peppy and tossable they are compared to the M4; makes them a whole lot of fun - i could easily see someone buying one purely for fun city driving. I have zero concerns about hitting a curb, banging into shit, etc so I just drive the thing in total hoon mode and it's a blast!

Controversial opinion: While we've been chasing ponies, Gs, unsprung weight, and carbon fiber, basic vehicles have gotten way WAY better and way more horsepower too such that they're not too far off performance of "fast" vehicles of the past with 100% of it being usable on city streets - which makes errands WAY more fun!

As an example, my 2001 Audi Allroad was 4200 lbs and 250 HP (~17lbs/pony to backwards it). Back then, no, it wasn't a sports car obviously, but it was a fast SUV type thing and I'd run it around with sports cars and it wasn't totally embarrassing or anything. People routinely said it was faster than it looked - and it was. This CX-5 is ~3700 lb and ~230 HP (~16lbs/pony) and it gets all the benefits of better suspension design etc and definitely feels tuned better.

So basically the CX-5 is surprisingly fun to daily versus how I thought it might be.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00