07-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #22
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
I think your take is a reasonable one. I don’t agree that the 911 is a purebred sports car, maybe a decade ago it was. I’d say the M4 GTS is way more track bred than a 991.2S, lap times would lead you to believe otherwise. The 991 (and I’ve had a few) is a GT car. It’s supremely comfortable, suspension dampening and rebound is the best the auto industry have ever seen, has plenty of tech and luxury and build quality few cars can match. Iit lays down supercar laps times with still very little power compared to what else is out there.
The 992S is an 11.3@125 mph car that runs 7:25 on the Ring on summer tires - for a 440 hp car those are insane numbers. To me, that is easily faster. Just for comparison the 488 GTB runs 7:21 on the Ring but also has nearly 250 more hp.

Your point of modifying is quite valid and applicable. Sure you can modify anything to be fast. Sv whatever clearly wants to race an unfair race - because if it wasn’t unfair he’d go home disappointed. I’m all for the comparison but only with two cars stock.
You are overreaching. Sport auto did a 7:34 in the 992 S, the fastest I have seen anywhere is 7:30 claimed by Porsche. The GTS did 7:25, its a $140k car.

The 911 is a custom built lower volume sports car at a much higher price point. Your comparing it so a 4 door saloon which is based on cooking model architecture and costs roughly 60% when new. Does an F8x crush a Miata on a track? Yes. Its double the price. See where I'm going here?

Here is a direct comparison, the M4 CS is clearly a very special bit of kit.

And if were talking which is faster around a proper circuit like WGI, VIR, Road America etc. between an M3 CS and a Carrera T, my coin is on the CS.
Appreciate 0