View Single Post
      10-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

DIY for swapping out rear swaybar

Is there a good reference for this; I know that the subframe would have to drop, but hoping that there are some tips that I can use during this project.

Updated:

Here is a summary of the DIY I just completed...very much similar to the elmerzasty (below).

- Remove the aluminum X brace
- Remove the exhaust
- Remove the rear dampers
- Disconnect the sway (end-links)
- Review all of the cables / brake lines, etc. to familiarize yourself with how much slack you have as you lower the sub-frame
- Disconnect (remove driver side only) upper control arm, this connects to the sub-frame and upper part of wheel hub
- At this point, I was ready to lower the sub-frame. I used two jacks, one under the front of the diff (on differ carrier), the second on the back of he sub-frame.
- I started to lower the sub-frame, very slowly, keeping an eye on the cables / lines. I lowered the sub-frame about 6" front-end and about 4" rear-end.
- At this point, I was able to clear access the sway-bar brackets. I removed all of the screws and then used a strong/long flat head screw driver to pinch remove the brackets from the sway-bar.
- Once everything was free, I removed the sway-bar from driver side. You will have to play with this a bit both to remove and re-insert the replacement sway-bar.

From here, it is pretty much the reverse order...

- Starting with installing the new sway-bar, then brackets.
- Install the upper control-arm
- Raise the sub-frame back up, slowly lining it back to the mounting points and tighten. F80 torque spec is 79 ft/lb
- And so on and on,

It can be somewhat of an intimidating DIY project, but it is pretty straight forward. Requires some patience...it took me 4.5 hours (start to finish), not including getting the car setup on jack-stands, etc.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by ninekrpm; 06-08-2019 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 5
richf8079.00
SYT_Shadow11496.00
x.shell6580.00
smm310.50