05-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #74
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
If I have learned anything over the years it's that revisionist history rules when it comes to car forums of all makes and types. Everyone complains how the old cars were lighter, sharper, purer, better, than today's cars. The reality is that outside of a hand full of classics, most weren't so pretty well every brand has a group of purists that are upset about the current direction of the company they used to love. This isn't a BMW thing, it's a just the reality of current times where technology is rapidly evolving.

All of that said I agree with some of the comments in that there's probably too many M variants and BMW would be wise to scale that back a little. Also while the ZF8 is a really nice transmission I'm not a fan of that being offered in the M2, M3, M4 if the rumours are true (C&D recently said next gen M3/M4 would come with DCT) as that screams of cost cutting and I just don't consider the ZF8 a sports car transmission. That said I'm not going to get too down on them for the use of 4 cylinder engines or FWD in entry level cars as MB and Audi got a head start here and BMW can either catch up to claim a piece of that pie or concede sales to their rivals which is a sure fire way to upset shareholders and get people fired. I accept cars aren't going to get lighter and electric steering is never going to provide the feel of hydraulic so I'm not going to spend a lot of my time lamenting the past as life is too short to continually look back and I'm focusing on enjoying the present and today's cars still do a lot of things better than older cars and there will be a day where some younger posters here will in 2030 be complaining; "These new electric cars suck and I miss the analog feel of my F80 M3" as it's the cycle of life.
2050: I miss not being plugged into the Matrix
Appreciate 0