01-31-2014, 02:28 AM   #235
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
As we have discussed prior, I think you radically underestimate the contribution to sound from the exhaust system and overestimate the contribution from the crankshaft arrangement.
Without a cross bank exhaust like in the original GT40 and as is on the F1x M5/6 there is no way to get rid of the warble that comes from the uneven firing order per cylinder bank in a cross plane cranked V8. You can argue as much as you want, but the unmistakeable V8 warble exhaust pulsation can't be eradicated without either a flat plane crank or a cross bank exhaust manifold.

Just listen to a F10 550i and a F10 M5 with similar Meisterschaft exhausts.

And the similarity between the S55 and F430 is of no relevance to the flat plane vs cross plane V8. Neither the S55 nor the F430 has an uneven firing order creating the pulsation in one exhaust manifold at a time. A flat plane crank V8 is the same firing order as two I4 engines, each bank acting as a I4 engine connected by a common crankshaft. A I6 is one inline engine with even distribution of firing sequences.

You can have a exhaust system that enhances the V8 warble, like one without a X or H tube. And you can have a exhaust system that tries to minimize it. A X or H tube is also preferred to enhance exhaust scavenging on a cross plane crank V8 to even out/balance the exhaust pressure problems that the uneven firing sequences create.

Last edited by Boss330; 01-31-2014 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0