FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzmeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I find it very funny that people have access to data out there showing over the past 20 years that these companies out here when they're designing aftermarket springs they're doing the minimum amount of research needed to get there Springs on the market… they're not taking into account the vehicle dynamics all they're looking for is people who all care about is aesthetics but yet people buy them and then complain they make their car bounce around 🤔. Am I missing something here???
I disagree, that's not the complete truth. A spring can be linear rate or progressive rate. The spring rate is matched to the dampening rate of the shock. On high end performance cars like M cars this is matched very well via linear rate springs. If the car has EDC then there are compromises to be made to mass produce M cars for BMW to make a profit. An M3/M4 has very good handling from factory but it's not perfect. It's well balanced for spirited driving and occasional light driving events. If you're looking for track performance, the factory springs won't cut it. You need coil overs or stiffer, lower springs to lower the car's center of gravity helping it plant itself in the corners. The trade off is a stiffer ride and bounciness over bumps for daily street driving. Compromises have to be made, that's why the GTS has stiffer spring rates than the regular M. It's more track oriented, there's a market for everyone. Guys who just want to lower the car for aesthetic purposes usually don't buy expensive cars like M cars. If aesthetics is the goal then cutting the factory springs would suffice. I'm not looking for just aesthetics, neither is anyone on this thread. We're looking for good looks with no wheel gap and ride quality that is close to stock with similar if not very close to factory handling. That's why we research and test different options and discuss them on forums like this one. You're entitled to your own opinion as we all are, but I respectfully disagree with your comments.
I am not disagreeing with you regarding lowering the center of gravity. However I think there needs to be a better consistency of people throwing springs on their car. If you look at the broad spectrum of the car enthusiast community whether it's Bmw or not most people go the cheapest solution to hold themselves over and then they complain it doesn't perform properly.

I've been around CARS my whole life and I've own various different cars and this is my second BMW M car. I can honestly tell you unless you're going with an suspension that was built in house ground up. The ride is never going to be as what you would think it would be. Vs just putting lowering springs on your vehicle.

My 2020 M2C has MPERFORMANCE suspension- much better than stock

My 2020 M4 Heritage edition has the competition package revise suspension and it's excellent out of the gate for a stock set up.

Right now I am taking my time and looking into various suspension options to replace the factory dampening if I have to.

But I totally agree lowering the center of gravity increases handling dynamics but also if you get it wrong you will jack up your suspension.
Appreciate 0