View Single Post
      12-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #81
BimmerQuest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35ix M-Sport MPPK

As a caveat to the comments below, I'll likely end up with a German sports car. But some of the comments here are just insane. People - the BASE GT gets an all new suspension, new brakes, new weight distribution, and outperforms the Boss 302. Nobody here has even sat in an S550 let alone driven one. Performance packs, GT350, who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochico View Post
I just had a newer Mustang ecoboost V6 for a few days as a rental.
This car doesn't exist - "Mustang ecoboost V6". You drove a base NA mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5 View Post
This is a meaningless comparison. Noone in their right mind cross shops an M3/M4 and a Mustang. The comparison can only be used for Mustang people to make themselves look/feel better. M3/M4 buyers have no skin in this game - it's irrelevant.
I'm left handed and therefore clearly in my right mind while cross shopping the M3/M4, C7, RS5, AMG 63, and S550. As a potential M3/M4 buyer I certainly have skin in the game: the value of a dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
I have a feeling BMW is in for a rude awakening in 2014. This stang I have to admit looks pretty good (especially once it comes in Seca or 500 versions), and if they really benched it against a M or 911, then the Americans would make it lighter, more agile, and behave like a euro car with improved interior materials / styling to boot - I would imagine the RING numbers will be touted alot more this time around to just show how well this car performs. BMW needs to do something surprising with the M3/M4 to retain its status as the best all around GT sports car for sub $80k. If it's too close to C7Z51 and '14 Stang 5.0, then people might just say screw it, I'd rather save $20k.
I'm feeling this "save $20k" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstave View Post
I agree with this. I don't remember the last American car I sat in that didn't make me wish I was back in my bimmer
Have you sat in the C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
When you consider that the outgoing Boss Mustang was outperforming the E9x M3 in tests, and Ford has said the new Mustang GT has now been able to best the Boss, its clear that - whatever the car was benchmarked against - it has gotten a bump in performance as well. In the end we are talking about cars with similar power, similar weight, and similar handling after all, this new Mustang GT and new M4.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
On the styling topic, I am actually a bit disappointed that the styling of the new Mustang is evolutionarily close to the outgoing model. I was hoping for a clean slate approach. I was also hoping for a smaller footprint (i.e. smaller overhangs this time around). But it is not a bad looking car by any stretch - its actually quite good looking as is the model it replaces.
Based on the information that has come out over the past two days, it appears that the original styling was heavily euro focused. But as late as a year ago they changed course towards a more heritage focused styling with modern cues. Too bad really, I much preferred the first direction. The original C&D render clearly has the same spoiler shape "design language" of the newly revealed GT. No way that was just a guess, but likely based on the real first version. Oh well..."pony cars".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
I had a Mustang and E92 M3, and I'll be cross-shopping the new Mustang and new M3/M4.

From my experience the M3 was a better machine, but the Mustang was a lot more fun to own. The M3 had a few nasty rattles since new, my Mustang had none. The Mustang had a lot more options for aftermarket upgrades, and for a lot cheaper. The fact that the M3/M4 is twice the price is also not negligible.

What keeps me interested in the new M3 is the four door option, being a dad. On the other hand my kid loved the Mustang but never cared about the M3. I also have to do a lot of driving at 5000 ft and above, and at that altitude, the new M3/M4 should drive circles around a naturally aspirated Mustang 5.0.
I'm with you - live a mile high and have kids. The M3 is still on the list primarily for those reasons. But the new 4 banger twin scroll turbo Mustang is rumored to be a tuners dream (stock at 300/300). Clearly not going to compete with an M, but for a fun daily driver at altitude?
Appreciate 0