View Single Post
      01-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #228
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M3 CRT View Post
Your intention is to misunderstood Basscadets post ???

An M3 was never about the biggest power / biggest engine .... RIGHT ... but an M3 was ever until now about an unique, exciting, emotional and sporty engine -> this is one of the important things described as "M Spirit" and "Rennsporttechnik für die Straße" and this is gone with the S55 ... don´t misunderstand me, the new M3/M4 will be an great car and "the best M3 ever" but the heart of the spirit was lost with this engine decision !!!

If they had decided that ~430hp are enough and therefore bring the F8x with an slightly modified S65, none would complaining that the new car has less hp than its competitors, because the engine fulfil all demand of an real and great M engine!

But if the decides the new M3/M4 need an turbo engine, because turbo engine is the engine of the present generation, than an lighter 4.0ltr.V8TT based on the S63Tü were the best option in terms of M spirit and M worthyness, second - for me - would be an innovative new 3.0-3.3ltr.V6TT also based on the S63Tü an developed at Nissan GT-R standards and third an 3.0-3.3ltr.I6TT (based on an half N73?) with greater bore than stroke like first rumored here on bimmerpost.

AND last ... no matter what turbo engine they would have been chosen ... he should in any case have more hp than only 430 ... to justify the rejection of the great NA S65 !!!
I didn't misunderstand anything! You and Basscadett want more power and a V8 engine, that's fine! People expect different things from the M3, but I was making a point that as long as the driving experience is holistic, the F8X can provide just as much enjoyment despite having a "inferior" engine to the E9X. Now, what makes no sense is expecting more HP from the M3/M4 WITHOUT DRIVING ONE That is key here. If you want outstanding acceleration numbers, a stellar quarter mile and in gear acceleration, we do not yet know what the new car is capable of. And again, my point was that people should not expect these because historically, the M3 was never the benchmark because of its performance numbers, but because it excelled in the intangibles like feel and driving pleasure.
Also, 430HP is likely underrated since BMW severely underrated the S63Tü
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0