10-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #26
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
After going through a similar event (minimal rear damage and a $1800 repair), I would have gone with cash as long as you had buyer admitting and agreeing to pay on a smartphone video.

I went for his insurance and now the Carfax shows a rear collision and the car which is perfect is worth about $5000 less with the carfax ding.
I understand the concern with the accident diminishing the value of the car, but unfortunately that's just part of vehicle ownership. I personnaly would let a potential buyer know that the vehicle had been in a minor accident (if I were to sell the car) and provide them with the relevant paperwork from the repairs. It pays to be honest.

Also, you can file for a diminished value claim with the insurance company. Its hard to get them to pay what you think you should be paid, but none-the-less they will pay something in most cases. There are certain criteria that need to be met, but if you're worries about the vehicle being worth less, a DMC can help offset the hit you take when you sell the vehicle.