View Single Post
      10-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #89
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
What do you means VANOS going is a giant nothing? It literally grenades the engine if the tabs get caught. This is not necessarily mileage dependent either, same thing goes for rod bearings going at 30k for some people. While an annoyance, CH seems to affect moded cars, whereas the other issues I listed are going to happen regardless.

So essentially, you're saying the difference between the 2 is that one is used and you can get a used S54 for less than the price of a new S55 from the dealership.
1) If you are willing to play Russian roulette with your warranty and your S55, that's on YOU
2) If you're willing to play Russian roulette with an F8x out of warranty, but not willing to spend an extra $4k? That's also on you. No different than if you want to gamble and take an S54 to 100k miles and not drop a dime on preventatively changing out parts.

As an owner of multiple M's, S52 + S54 + S65, I'm all to well aware of what it costs to keep these engines running, yet alone modding them. Hell, you do know this is also from the same guys that made the S85 right?

My point of contention is the part I highlighted in your post in bold. You think that people that can afford to buy cars on BaT will all run away because of the CH issues on modded cars? Doubtful. Like I said, so far, I've only seen the CH issue (once again, I wouldn't be concerned if stock) and leaking intercooler issue as the 2 biggies on this platform. That hardly makes it the worst M car to date as you say, considering there are FAR more maintenance heavy S engines out there. I can name you many engines that scare me more than the S55.
I think resale value will be affected by the CH issue. yes. I think the market will be smaller too. I think this is a pretty big issue for the enthusiast market. The fact that there are no symptoms and its unclear what causes it stinks. It also can be a very hefty price tag. replacing an engine severely impacts resale. Its very hard to find good work as well. I dont like having big time surgery on my toys bc its seldom done right. Do you own a home? Any time you do something there is always a headache. So its not just the money of replacing the engine. its resale and its being left with a Frankenstein in some cases (no offense to anyone). I have cars with new engines. Its never a breeze. At least with vanos there are signs when shopping for a car.

As an owner I know that it hurts the value of the car from a subjective perspective. Every time I hit the gas i worry. Where as for my e46 I air it out all the time. I am not one to do burnouts and things like that but i love spirited driving. I could and will do a CBC but there is a mysticism with it. People dont even know if it does anything and most shops wont do it. My issue is with the full solution. Bc I add a moderate tune I need to spend 4000 to make it safe on a car with 7000 miles? To me its more paltable to do vanos or rod bearing on a 20 year old car to make it safe to drive hard than it is on a brand new car with a mod that is very common in the enthusiast world. Its not like we upgrading the turbos and pressing the envelope! These are nearly stock cars. No mattter what you say its not going to change my opinion that this issue sucks. ITs my own fault but the issue has evolved as the community learned more about it.
Appreciate 0