05-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #74
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
What didn't you like about them? I drove my car at Thunderhill on those tires, and the performance was quite good. Everything was very predictable.
The tires are good, especially for high performance street. I haven't taken them to a road course track yet, nor do I plan on doing so, as I have a spare set of Apex wheels and R-compound tires for that application. The ECS seem to hold up very well in high speed sweeps, and rolling start highway pulls. No issues there, except for a slight snap-oversteer on downhill turns.

Where I wish I had gone the PS4S or RE-71R route is when I tried to launch the ECS at Sonoma Raceway last Wednesday -- the 340 treadwear rating was really felt with close to zero traction using launch control at default 3k RPM. I made 3 pass attempts, all of which the rear tires screamed for their lives! I lowered the boost values for all RPM range on the 2nd pass attempt, but even then, the tires made the car do a dangerously wide high-speed zig zag... Nonetheless, I netted a 12.6 second 1/4 mile pass (best is 11.09 on R compound), which was still good enough to beat a late model Challenger R/T

Again, I'm not a big fan of them at this price point, but I expect the tires to get better as the tread wears out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Are you using oem wheels? Those are some big tires.

Also, which summer tires perform better for less money?
Tires are mounted on OEM Signature SV107 19x9.5 ET19 | 19x11 ET37 wheels.

Never mentioned better for less, but my vote for just as good for less would be the (2017) Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, which are essentially Bridgestone RE-760 replacements.

Last edited by FriedPiston; 05-22-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0