Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
My thoughts exactly. This engine is going to deliver and feel exactly like +500 rpm and +20% more peak power 1M (N54T).

Our redline is at 7000, power plateau is around 5000 and in terms of excitement there is not much past 5500 or 6000, despite the fact that it can hit the rev limiter pretty easily. It just is not that exciting to do so, in comparison to gobs of power available at low and mid range revs which is stupid fun!

It really sounds to me like a very well tuned 1M engine with an extra 500 rpm on tap. I am not talking about other new stuff and enhancements like in the cooling.

I bet the throttle response will in practice mimic the M button in the 1M as well (controlling wastegate, a different map) for sharp response
, which I posted before as being not as natural as a good NA engine, like the S65 because it may be oversensitive and jerky at times. But maybe they fixed that too. S55 might just be the best FI engine in terms of response, as you defined it, since 1M was already very good compared to others, including other applications of the N54.
I completely agree esp. the bold part. However, I think you feel this is more or less a win, whereas it's pretty disappointing for me. Only time and drives by journalists will really tell us about the throttle response.

In my most recent simulations the (approximate) shift points were less than redline in all gears except 1-2. In particular they were (that sim still is using a 7750 redline):

1-2: 7750 (redline)
2-3: 7100
3-4: 6600
4-5: 6500
5-6: 6300
6-7: 6200

This is simply the nature of the beast with a radically falling torque curve and flat power curve. The force at the wheels curves by gear vs. vehicle speed simply overlap and that is the ideal shift point for maximum performance. I guess we've pretty much known this since the revelation that the car would be turbo charged but it's really sinking in now. In short, other than in 1st gear, forget about the redline and forget about the corresponding thrills of a high redline. Redline will only be utilized for absolute drag racing starting in 1st gear.

Here is an interesting related question. Will the shift points for the DCT be programmed for maximum performance which means essentially short shifting? Ugh...
Great input Ozinaldo and Swamp!