View Single Post
      09-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Thanks, I read those mag. comments already. I would still like to know some more of when the non assisted return to center forces are allowed. Any time the wheel is not actively moved away from center? I.e will the PS only be used when the wheel is turned away from center and be deactivated when the wheel is held still, turned towards the center actively or passively? I'm very curious to know more and try this out.
Solistice, you and I have discussed my two biggest beefs from my old F10. Number two right behind the throttle insanity was the steering at higher speeds. The wandering, constant need for correction. I believe that this was always a fault of the EPS unit.

The engineers try to get too clever with EPS, primarily because they can. That motor acting on either the rack or shaft can be made to do many things that a traditional steering (hydraulic or even unassisted) cannot do. They can make that motor turn the column to do whatever they want. Like self park. In some cars, they are making it keep your lane now (S Class, Acura RLX). Etc.

BMW hasn't said much, but I have always suspected heavily that they had cross-wind correction built into the steering, and it always felt like I was fighting the car. Same with this "assisted unwinding" action. They're not just using the motor to assist you in turning the steering, they're using it to turn it back, etc., which feels entirely unnatural if you are used to ANY car with a modicum of steering feel.

I think this is all intentional. Look at BMW's mission with the F10...a mini 7, no longer a larger 3. Very intentional and it has boosted sales tremendously. Car and Driver's article on the E9X vs. the F30 was awesome, as it showed the "what" behind the "why" of the reduced steering feel and dynamics.

BMW's comment of "leaving the steering alone" to me speaks volumes. It means a more traditional role for the EPS motor....simply turning the wheel to the driver's command and not allowing it to do more funky stuff. More natural feel, and it won't damp out as much feedback as previous. I think THAT is how they're going to get it to feel good. That and the new hardware, which is probably stiffer and more direct than before.

I remember a while back I started the thread that "My hope for the S55 comes from....Porsche? It referenced the interview with 'Mr. GT3' Andreas Preuninger, and was mainly about the engine, but my thoughts were also on the steering as well. He speaks quite vehemently about that in the video.

I believe that my predictions in that thread are coming home to roost. Mr. Preuninger may have been discussing the GT3, but I think the M3 engineers were thinking the same thoughts.
Appreciate 0