View Single Post
      12-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #164
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post
I'm having troubling placing in my head what an M5 and an M3 actually are in BMW world. In some ways I have trouble differentiating whether this car is an M335i or a true M3. I know BMW doesn't fit a car with anything more than 1 wheel drive unless it is an M car, which is why I bought an S4 for $48k instead of a 335i. That, and my S4 doesn't overheat on a road course or have fuel pump reliability issues.

My primary concern right now is that not Dinan (nor anyone else) has released a tune for the M5. Either the ECU is too hard to crack, or M has done all of the tuning work and there's nothing appreciable left. The 4.4 twin turbo V8 is in both the 550i and the M5. Dinan tuned up the 550i very nicely, matching or exceeding the M5 output.

I'm concerned that we're all going to be buying a factory tuned 335i for $70,000. I'm concerned that there may be no tuning potential left in this engine because it's going to be burning hotter than a foundry oven. I'm concerned that it isn't even appropriate to run 500 HP through a RWD car with 255 tires and hollow output shafts (for weight savings). And lastly I'm concerned that there is probably $30,000 of profit in this car (loaded) so I'm not really sure what I'm buying over a 328i with halogens and incandescent bulbs.

Someone talk me out of this line of thinking.
OP, I was fortunate enough to own a B8 S4 shown in my signature that was parked next to my tuned E92 M3. Naturally, there should be not debate that the E92 M3 is/was a better car than the S4. My S4 was faster than my M3 at realistic speed, but it still wasn't a better car. The experience with BMW was also so much better. I picked up my car from the Performance delivery center, which was awesome. The dealerships didn't bust my balls about having modifications unlike Audi that has gone out of their way to void my warranty. BMW forums and community are much better. I got lured into the style/look of Audi but won't be going back. In my opinion, Audi is attempting to rid themselves of the enthusiast in favor of the overpaid/undereducated Mercedes/Lexus customer. BMW is a true enthusiast brand. I think an M4 is going to be right up your ally with or without an aftermarket tune. The power delivery is probably going to be much like that of a tuned B8 S4 with more torque. The handling and feel of the car is worlds better. I'm confident that once you are able to spend extended seat time in an M4 you'll like. Now the E92 M3 owner transitioning to turbo six may be a different transition. I think you need to shift your thinking a bit. The S4 is a pretty crappy car without a 80hp increase from a tune. The M4 will be a great car right out of the box.

By the way, an M3/M4 is a factory modified 335i/435i. I'll be ordering an F80 M3 as soon as my S4 lease is up in Feb '15. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Last edited by Money2536; 12-25-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0