bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
It seems simple in theory, but there are vital differences in how CO2 emission targets come into play here...
That was a fantastic analysis, Boss330! A couple of comments.

Quote:
If I'm not much mistaken the 997 GT3 sold about 1000 examples in the US over a two year period, and approximately the same in Europe. So 500 a year in Europe. 500 examples means 1,2% of total Porsche production. For M GmbH a limited edition model that makes a similarly small impact on total CO2 emissions as the GT3 does to Porsche would mean that they could only sell 76 cars per year in Europe (1,2% of 6.375).

It's hard to make a good business case for such a small production... And M GmbH has to meet their 151g/km target...
When you run the numbers, it is really remarkable how tightly constrained BMW is by their independence. It also highlights just how good a strategic move the "accidental" acquisition of Porsche by VAG ended up being, even if Porsche didn't intend it that way.

Quote:
However, a NA engine and hybrid powertrain in addition (Porsche 918), that could be a VERY interesting scenario that creates LOW CO2 emissions and the best of both worlds
As much as I wish for that, I don't know that we'll continue to see N/A engines, even in hybrid situations. The hybrid drive train makes it very easy to compensate for the shortcomings of a heavily boosted ICE (internal combustion engine). McLaren's P1 is overshadowing the 918, despite the achievement that the 918 is, and a lot of that has to do with it's incredibly powerful drivetrain, which delivers over 190 HP/L, before you factor in the power from the electrical drivetrain components. No one I've read has said a word about any lag or lack of response from the P1.

Sports car manufacturing has a tendency to adopt a me-too approach to product development. Everyone wants to scavenge the success of the leader, and the P1 is just too far out front right now. I'd expect a lot of copying of their formula, and that means hybrid power trains with extremely high specific-output, forced-induction engines.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0